Whales of IcelandTour ID: WI01
CategoryAdmissions, Meet on Location, Reykjavik City
Learn about the world's biggest mammals in a modern environment.
The spectacular Whales of Iceland museum features the largest whale exhibition in Europe, with life-sized models of 23 different types of whales that have been spotted in Icelandic territorial waters. The blue whale is the biggest one of them all - its length is nearly the same as a basketball court.
Information about them is presented through detailed displays, multiple interactive exhibits, and a free audio guide available in more than 12 languages. Admission includes access to the Fin Whale Theatre, which screens documentaries throughout the day and features an exhibit about whale conservation.
The museum is in only 20 minutes walking distance from the city centre but can also be reached by one of the city buses or the popular Hop-On Hop-Off Reykjavík City Sightseeing bus running every half hour.
It is ideal to combine a visit to the museum with a Whale Watching tour before or after, in order to see the whales in their natural setting.
- 23 life-sized whale models
- Interactive exhibits
- Audio guide in more than 12 languages
- Documentary screenings
- Live guided tours are offered daily at 11:00 & 15:00 for all ticket holders.
- The documentary Sonic Sea is screened daily at 10:30, 12:15, 14:00, & 15:45.
- The audio guide is accessible on any Android or iOS device - it is recommended to bring headphones compatible with your device.